Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Let's Hear it for Canning!

So my mom came to visit me and brought me boxes full of tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, and peaches. So today I learned the lost art of canning!
It was a lot of work, I mean A LOT! It took almost all day to get the 14 jars of pickles, 10 pints of salsa, and 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce all done, but it was totally worth it. My family will now have fresh veggies and sauces made 100% from scratch..not a single canned product in my sauce. Plus there is something to be said for spending the day in the kitchen where you feel a kinship with your elders. I have so much more respect from my grandparents and even my mom who canned when I was younger.
But now that I'm prepared with lots of jars, a wonderful recipe book, and the knowledge of how to do, I can see myself canning alot more things.

Friday we're going to do peaches. I didn't have the energy left to can another thing lol! But for tonight I'm stocked up and happy as can be.

1 comment:

  1. From your latest post I would say your plate is full...but maybe you could fit a few more things on it..chocolate anyone?

    ReplyDelete