Monday, April 4, 2011

Easter is Coming!

These yummy little treats are a tradition at my house. I got the recipe from my mom who used to make them for me and my brother when we were little. I've seen a million variations of this recipe, and I'm sure to you this is just one more. But I love it! My family isn't crazy about coconut, and many of the recipes call for coconut instead of oatmeal, or even chow mein noodles. But the combination of peanut butter and chocolate is to die for! Its up to you how you want to decorate them. In half, I did flaked coconut died green and jelly beans, the others I just put "eggs" in the nests and they were really peanut butter M&M's. Tailor it to your likes, and enjoy another recipe tradition from my kitchen to yours!

 



Bird Nests

2 cups of sugar
6 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
1/2 cup of margarine or butter
1/2 cup of milk
3 cups of oatmeal
1/2 cup of peanut butter

Decorations:
jelly beans
M&M's
coconut, died green with food coloring

In a large saucepan, add the first 4 ingredients over medium heat.
Bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes.
Add in oatmeal and peanut butter. Stir till all ingredients combined. 
Spoon onto wax paper and make little indents in the middle of each nest.
Add coconut and jellybeans/M&M's or whatever candy resembling eggs that you desire.
Let cool on counter or move pans lined with wax paper with the nests on it into the fridge till firm.
Store in tupperware to keep fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment