Friday, August 12, 2011

Making it last

I made a trip last weekend to the farmers market in hope of finding lots of fruit. That mission was extremely successful, but not only that I found pickling cucumbers (I didn't know it was time to pickle yet so thank goodness I found out then), romaine lettuce that bigger than my forearm, and lots of fresh corn on the cob.
I loaded up and got home and wondered hmmm, what should I do with all of this?

I love fresh corn the cob, and I have many recipes with corn needed in it, but I don't always feeling like cooking it right away. So I found a quick recipe that in 4 easy steps allows me to freeze my corn for when I do want and need it.

1) Husk corn  and remove silk.
2) Cut corn off cob (don't cook prior)
3) Put 4-6 cups of corn in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir; cook for add. 2 minutes.
4) Package and put in the freezer. When ready to eat, simply thaw, add 1/2 cup of water and cook.

I filled 4 small ball freezer jars (the ones with purple lids). Its just enough to pull out for mexican salads, or a side for dinner, or for corn chowder. Best thing is it keeps its fresh flavor and its usually about 25 cents a cob at the market right now, so I basically spent $1.00 and got 4 containers of corn. Good deal right?!

The next thing I made with my variety of fruit was fruit kabobs. Kids LOVE them which is awesome. I just cube up watermelon, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, pineapple and any other fruits and stick them on wooden skewer sticks. You can cut the skewer points off if you're giving them to little kids. I also did the standard fruit salad, grilled pineapple strips, and made watermelon slush...which is just blending the SEEDLESS watermelon unless smooth. Put in a dish, cover, and put in the freezer. Then when its ready just scrape the "ice" with a spoon and put into dishes. Freeze fruit dessert/snack. Cools the kids down on hot days.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to see you back to posting! I have missed your comments and recipes:)

    ReplyDelete