Sunday, September 18, 2011

Got extra zucchini?

I have a great friend who is always willing to share her bounty of veggies with me. So this weekend I inherited 3 giant zucchini. Now I'm a fan of zucchini bread, but not 20 loaves worth. What to do? Bake chocolate zucchini brownies!!! Everyone loves brownies and this makes them healthy enough for me to justify eating two (even though I'd eat two if it didn't have zucchini in them). Mine turned out fluffy like cake, but in all honesty I like them just the same, in not better. I think the type of brownie you get depends on your zucchini. Some are drier than others. Now if you're thinking your kids are gonna bolt when you try to feed them something with veggies in it, rest easy. My daughter had one (without frosting...she couldn't wait), and I had no idea there was zucchini in it. She only figured it out when she overheard me telling my friend. Try them! You'll like them!

Zucchini Brownies

1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. walnuts (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350*.
Mix sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt.
Then add vegetable oil and vanilla. 
Fold in the zucchini and flour and nuts, if desired. 
Don't expect to pour this batter into the dishes. 
Just dump it in a 13 x9 pan and press it down. 
It will become moist as the zucchini cooks and sheds it moisture. 
Bake for 25 minutes.

Frosting:
6 T. cocoa powder
1/4 c. margarine or butter
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/2 t. vanilla

Melt margarine/butter and mix cocoa powder in. 
Set aside to cool.
Mix rest of ingredients together.
Add in cocoa mixture.
Spread on cooled brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment